Located in the Old Bank District, the Herman W. Hellman Building, now known as Banco Popular, is an eight-story brick and concrete structure with a steel-skeleton frame. It was built in 1903 and was once the largest steel frame building in Los Angeles. The Hellman Building, along with the Continental Building, were the first major structures to anchor the Spring Street Financial District.
Entitled by EPG in December 2012, Banco Popular, the adaptive reuse historic building, was approved for a new mixed-use project to include 212 live/work units, as well as ground floor restaurants and a basement bar. EPG was able to increase the height of the building to 12 stories, which includes the addition of a mezzanine and 2 basement levels with no change in existing parking. The additional stories were approved for an increase in floor area to 7.27 in lieu of the maximum of 6.0. EPG also secured the approval of 212 units in lieu of 64 units through an exemption of the floor area requirements. Furthermore, a new ZA memo followed in April 2013, allowing for the filing of adjustments to the maximum unit size (450 sq. ft.) and minimum average unit size (750 sq. ft.) standards. Modifications to the existing plans are currently in the works and will include the addition of a new story with a rooftop restaurant and bar.